Friday 23 November 2007

Discussion in Scottish Parliament 22 November 2007


The Scottish Parliament discussed giving £40 million over the next 3 years to domestic abuse particularly in relation to working with children. I do have an issue with the term "male abuse" as it signifies a biological determinism in relation to why men might abuse women. I am quite insistent on calling it men's abuse as as a Marxist and a feminist I see it as a construction of class society and a gender construction that comes from that. So I winced a bit at all the "male abuse" bit but it doesn't really matter not that much. There are issues about not ring fencing the money and I don't know what consequence that will have - hopefully not be damaging to existing work. I will report back on this as soon as I know.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/officialReports/meetingsParliament/or-07/sor1122-02.htm#Col3741

No comments: